Bilberry Bush Health Benefits
The bilberry bush is a well ramified bush with a 10-15 cm height. The parts used in phytotherapy: the leaves and the fruit.
Pharmacologic action: hypoglycaemic, diuretic and disinfectant for the urinary tubule, anti-diarrhea, anti-hemorrhagic.
The bilberry bush is generally a bush that grows in the wild and the attempts of cultivating it that have been undertaken for its remarkable qualities have not taken the shape of vast plantations due to profitability reasons.
The active principle, that is myrtilline, also called vegetal insulin, makes sugar decrease from the blood. In order to enhance the efficiency of the tea, bilberry leaves may be associated bean pods and mulberry tree leaves. Our recommendation is that the tea should be drunk sugar-free or saccharin sweetened.
Diabetes treatment is not possible without this plant!
The compositional structure of the bilberries provides them with anti-infectious properties. They are recommended for curing enteritis, cystitis and the circulatory disorders. They are anti-diabetic and have got effects upon the visual acuity.
The tannin content provides an astringent action and rushes the proteins contained in the cells of the digestive tract mucus; it rushes even the proteins of the pathogen flora, thus diminishing the action of the toxic and irritating substances.
Jams, fine jams, wine; liquor can be made from bilberries in the house pharmacy, as they are both food and medicines:
* the jams and the marmalades for curing chronic diarrhea. The recommended administration is one tea-spoon three times a day. Bilberries are also recommended to children in order to get rid of rickets.
* the bilberry wine one tea-spoon shall be given to children and one small glass to grown-ups three times a day. It should be taken before the main meals.
1. As for convalescent people, a minimum 10 day cure with fresh bilberries or with any of the available fruit preparations is recommended.
2. As for low immunity individuals, a 20 day cure with bilberry fruit or with a tincture from its leaves is recommended.
3. As far as pulmonary tuberculosis is concerned, consuming 150-200 grams of bilberry fruit three times a day within a 30 day cure will help for a quick recovery, as this cure is associated to the drug treatment.
Synthetically speaking one may say that the bilberry bush as a medicine plant is useful and efficient in treating the following illnesses: diabetes, oral pharyngeal diseases, anorexia, burns, bronchitis, diarrhea, eczemas, oedemas, and podagra.
Natural treatments and application procedures:
1. The bilberry leaves tea:
The infusion is made from 1 tea-spoon of bilberry leaves scalded in 250 ml of boiling water. 2-3 mugs a day should be drunk. The tea must not be sweetened in case of diabetes people.
2. The tea made from bilberry fruit:
It is an anti-diarrhea tea, being made from 2 tea-spoons of dry fruit boiled in 250 ml of water for 5 minutes. The tea should be left for 10-15 minutes in order to become an infusion. 2-3 teas a day should be drunk.
3. The bilberry tincture:
100 grams of bilberries shall be macerated in 1000 ml of alcohol for 15 days. One tea-spoon of tincture diluted in a small glass of water should be taken before each main meal. It is recommended for treating diarrhea and scorbutus.
4. The tincture made from bilberry leaves:
This one is recommended to diabetes people. It is made from 20 grams of broken up and mashed bilberry leaves, which shall then be macerated in 100 ml of 70 degree alcohol.
5. The powder made from dry leaves:
It is made from ground dried up fruit. One knife pitch should be taken 3 times a day. It should be kept under the tongue for a while and then swallowed with a bit of water.
6. The tea used in external treatments:
It is made from a handful of bilberries boiled in one litre of water until its volume drops to half of it. This tea is recommended for rinsing one s mouth in case of pharyngitis, stomatitis and aphtae, for washing eczemas, in compresses for treating hemorrhoids.
7. The wine:
It is made from 1 litre of wine where 50 grams of mashed bilberries will have been macerated for 8 days. The recommended treatment is to have it before the main meals.
Source by cristi ion