Diet for Chronic Pancreatitis - Prevent Inflammation of the Pancreas
Pancreatitis is a condition in which the pancreas, which produces enzymes and hormone insulin for digestion suffers from inflammation which reduces the capacity of pancreas to absorb nutrition from the food products and provide it to body. The condition can be either acute or chronic, and it can cause bleeding in the region close to the pancreas. Chronic pancreatitis can be caused by excess intake of alcohol and the predominant symptom of the condition is presence of oil in stool. It can cause severe medical conditions such as blockages in intestine, fluid collection in pancreas, diabetes, mal-absorption and malnutrition.
Surgeries and drug therapies is given for the treatment of pancreatitis and in severe cases it can be life threatening. It has been found that antioxidants help in getting rid of free radicals which are harmful cells. Sometimes chronic pancreatitis is caused by low antioxidant level in blood and Vitamin A, C, E, selenium and carotenoids are components which account for high antioxidants. Food products high in minerals and vitamins are ideal for chronic pancreatitis patients.
Food products to avoid for the prevention of chronic pancreatitis are
1. Food products which can cause allergies such as milk and dairy products should be eliminated from diet. Wheat contains gluten which can cause allergies. Soy, preservatives, corn and chemicals which are added to certain food products and it can cause allergies.
2. Do not take alcohol.
3. Reduce intake of meat and non vegetarian food.
4. Refined food such as bread, pastas and sugar should be avoided.
5. Reduce intake of trans-fatty acid which is found in cookies, cakes, onion rings, processed food, margarines and crackers.
6. Caffeinated drinks coffee, stimulants, tobacco and alcohol should be avoided.
Patients suffering from chronic pancreatitis should take a low fat diet and stay away from alcohol. One should take easy to digest food items to prevent severe abdominal conditions and if one has a high level of triglycerides; one should be extra cautions to avoid complications. Regular exercises and staying way from stress is helpful in recovering from medical illness.
Following items can be included in diet
1. Drink a good amount of water in the day.
2. One can take herbal drinks such as green tea, tea made from holy basil or holy basil extract can be taken.
3. Rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea), Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) and Indian Gooseberry (Emblica officinalis) should be taken every day as it is high in antioxidants. It is richest source of vitamin C. According to research on animals it has been found effective in treating pancreatitis.
4. Grape seed extract can be taken to improve antioxidants in body.
5. Ginger root (Zingiber officinale) is also high in antioxidant and it can be taken in green tea.
6. Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) and Cinnamon Chinese bark (Cinnamomum verum) are commonly used in various cuisine preparations and it is effective in treating pancreatitis.
7. Food high in iron and vitamin B should be taken such as green leafy vegetables and sea vegetables.
8. Food products such as blueberries, tomatoes, cherries should be taken.
9. Olive oil or vegetable oil should be taken for cooking.
10. One should eat small meals and frequent meals instead of taking heavy three meals diet.
Source by Jhon Napier