Is the Master Cleanse Diet Right for You?
The Master Cleanse is sometimes called the lemonade diet. This ten day diet is meant to flush all toxins from your system. In the process of flushing the toxins, you will also lose weight. But what exactly is the Master Cleanse diet and is it something that you could use to lose excess weight? Read on for the answers to these questions.
This particular diet was developed by Stanley Burroughs, who some claim is one of the great pioneers in alternative medicine. But keep in mind that Stanley Burroughs was never a doctor nor did he study medicine in any way. He was a man who had some ground breaking ideas about alternative treatments for healing.
The diet consists of not eating anything and drinking only a lemonade concoction for ten days. You will also drink a laxative tea and a salt water drink for laxative effect. The purpose is to flush all forms of toxins from your body and cleanse your system.
You can expect to have detoxification symptoms on this diet. The following is a short list of some of the symptoms you can expect to experience.
1. Headaches. If you are a person who drinks a lot of caffeine you can expect to get headaches for the first few days.
2. Irritability. A lot of people will become irritable while on the Master Cleanse diet.
3. Aches, pains, nausea and vomiting. This can happen when a person is severely toxic. These symptoms are said to pass in a few days.
4. Tiredness. While most people report increased energy while detoxifying, there may be a day or two where you will feel tired.
5. Cravings for food. The website claims that most people will not feel hungry but it has been reported that some people will have cravings for specific foods.
6. Hot bowel movements. This will happen as the body is ridding itself of toxins. Because some of the toxins in our bowel are especially acidic, your bowel movements may feel hot during part of the detoxification system.
The Master Cleanse diet should only be done under the supervision of your physician, especially if you have chronic health issues such as diabetes or kidney problems. It may be very challenging for diabetics because the lemonade drink contains maple syrup as well.
Once you have finished your ten day course of the diet, you will have more energy and be able to think clearly. It is important that you ease back into solid food slowly. Start out with just drinking real juices and then slowly move up to soups and then solids.
If you have lost weight on the diet, you can expect to gain half of the weight back once you start eating again. But if you want to keep the weight off, change your eating habits and start eating healthy, low calorie foods. Pig out on fruits and veggies instead of potato chips and nachos.
So there you have information on the Master Cleanse diet. Give it a try under your doctor’s supervision and see if you don’t feel much better because of it.
Source by Peggy Edwards