Lifestyle Medicine Is the Standard of Care for Prediabetes
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking go to charity).
DESCRIPTION: Lifestyle modification is considered the foundation of diabetes prevention. What dietary strategies should be employed and why don’t more doctors use them?
I hope my work is helping to fill the gap that medical professionals are not getting during training about preventing and treating chronic disease. That’s actually how this all started. I would make trips to Countway (https://www.countway.harvard.edu/) at the beginning of every month in medical school to read all the new journal issues. I felt I had a duty to my patients to stay on top of the literature. But hey, since I’m doing so much work, might as well share it! So what started as an email newsletter morphed into a medical school speaking tour (http://www.DrGreger.org/dates.html) into a DVD series (http://www.drgreger.org/dvds) and then now all online for everyone.
For more on preventing and treating prediabetes/diabetes, see:
• Preventing Prediabetes By Eating More (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-prediabetes-by-eating-more/)
• Diabetics Should Take Their Pulses (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/diabetics-should-take-their-pulses/)
• How to Prevent Prediabetes from Turning into Diabetes (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-prediabetes-in-children)
• How to Prevent Prediabetes in Children (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-prediabetes-in-children)
For more on lifestyle medicine:
• Lifestyle Medicine: Treating the Causes of Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lifestyle-medicine-treating-the-causes-of-disease/)
• Convincing Doctors to Embrace Lifestyle Medicine (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/convincing-doctors-to-embrace-lifestyle-medicine/)
• Fully Consensual Heart Disease Treatment (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/fully-consensual-heart-disease-treatment/)
• What Diet Should Physician’s Recommend? (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/what-diet-should-physicians-recommend/)
• Barriers to Heart Disease Prevention (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/barriers-to-heart-disease-prevention)
And for insight into the sad state of nutrition in medical training, Doctors Know Less Than They Think About Nutrition (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/doctors-know-less-than-they-think-about-nutrition/) and Medical School Nutrition Training (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/medical-school-nutrition-education/).
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lifestyle-medicine-is-the-standard-of-care-for-prediabetes/ and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://http://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate